Trailer: The Birthday - Iranian
The Column Film produced documentary The Birthday from Iranian filmmaker Negin Kianfar & Dutch filmmaker Daisy Mohr exploring Iran’s surprisingly liberal policies regarding trans sexuality, has completed its successful 2007 festival run with several prizes:
- Best International Feature Documentary – 2008 Jacksonville Film Festival.
- Best documentary on human rights. Docusur, Tenerife.
- Special Mention of the jury DOCSDF 2007. DocsDF, Mexico city.
- The Showtime Vanguard Award. Newfest, New York.
- Honorable Mention from the Jury. Documenta festival, Madrid.
Photo by: Jeroen Oerlemans
A young man is followed in the process of becoming a woman through a sex-change operation in Iran, up to and beyond his operation.
We meet his boyfriend, other transsexuals (among them, a woman becoming a man), doctors, an Islam specialist and his family. All of them are religious, all of them are changing lives, but why would a ‘free’ man choose to become a woman with restrictions and lead a veiled life from now on?
A portrait of schizophrenic lives in a schizophrenic society.
Running Time: 65 min.
Directed by: Negin Kianfar & Daisy Mohr
Producer: Gijs van de Westelaken
Co-Producer: IKON – Margje de Koning
Camera: Behnam Monadizadeh
Edited by: Ewoud Hendriksen
Music by: Rainer Hensel